Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Dress Up

In an effort to procrastinate, I have been trying to figure out a good place to buy a few summer dresses. I love dresses because they require no matching of tops and bottoms, can be super comfortable, and automatically add points to your total appearance; dresses, like button-down shirts for men, just make you look more put together.

But I am foiled at every turn. The Gap has a couple of flattering halter dresses in absolutely hideous prints, but the rest are either dangerously hippie or too funereal for summer. J. Crew, source of my two favorite summer dresses, has nothing in the stretchy, clingy-yet-forgiving jersey knit that makes my old ones so lovely. There's this pretty white number, but $98 is a bit steep, and I want something machine washable. Their spring sale offers nothing in that category, and the intense greens make me wary, if slightly intrigued. Bluefly produced nothing but disappointments, as the only non-hideous dresses I found there were inching toward J. Crew prices. And Old Navy had three dresses, total, and they're all ugly.

What does a girl have to do to find a swingy, comfortable, flirty summer sundress that won't break the bank and can be tossed in the washer?
blog comments powered by Disqus