Monday, April 18, 2005

50 Book Challenge #23: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

I stayed up half the night reading Me Talk Pretty One Day when I checked it out a few years ago, muffling my snorts and shrieks of laughter with a pillow as I sought to avoid waking my grandparents (I do a lot of reading when I go back to Texas). I'm glad that I read Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim here in Cambridge, since it would have been much less of an escape had I read it while visiting family.

DYF is less riotously funny than Me Talk Pretty One Day or Naked. It's got more of a serious, introspective vibe and deals mostly with Sedaris's relationships with his parents and siblings. I hadn't realized or had forgotten that he grew up in the South, and when elements of that culture seep in (references to schools being desegregated, or his shock at seeing a white housemaid), it can be jarring. His siblings are mostly abnormal, and the thought of his sister living a few blocks away from me and going through my trash (a distinct possibility--she lives in Somerville) is even weirder.

If you've liked Sedaris's previous books, go ahead and pick this up, but be aware that it's less fun than his other collections.
blog comments powered by Disqus