Monday, May 01, 2006

Unwise in the presence of so many writers to publish such dreck.

Sometimes reading bad books is like starring in your very own episode of MST3K. And sometimes it makes you want to scoop out your eyes with a melon baller.

I saw this book in the Clerksville public library and immediately recognized it as being the one that gained infamy at a convention last year for its unintentionally hilarious prose and dialogue. A sticker on the spine proudly proclaimed it a "Bond Book." Somehow I don't think the voters realized that their tax dollars were going to be used in quite this way. But some said (link fixed) that it was an unfairly criticized work of feminist SF, so I gave it a shot.

I think this review pretty much sums up how I felt after reading it. One thing that's not emphasized there, though, is how astonishingly stupid the characters are. Why not use men's urine to cure the plants? How dumb do you have to be not to notice that your mother and sister have green and brown skin?

I hope that books two and three are never published. UPDATE: Book Two comes out this summer. Augh!

blog comments powered by Disqus