Friday, May 22, 2009

Playing your song

On the difficulty of having a song, and the haunting power of old love songs:
When the song ended, I went outside, sat on the curb, and cried. Sure, I had lost my boyfriend, but it was more than that. I had also lost my favorite love song. The problem with the songs that once made you happy is they tend to remind you that you were happy once.
...
[L]ove songs have no sense of timing. You can't choose which one is yours. You can try to cue up your favorite song to play at the precise second you decide you've fallen for someone, but in the end, something like "Funkytown" is going to play at some perfect moment, and then you're stuck with it.
I relish how the passage of time has worn away the associations between some much-beloved songs and prior context. There is nothing like getting one of your favorite songs back.
blog comments powered by Disqus