(If any of this information is out of date, please let me know and I will correct it.)
Applications for October Term N should be sent in March - June of N-1. Thomas hires much further in advance, so take this into account.
Apply to all nine justices even if you don't think you'd like to clerk for some of them.
Your package should include
- a short cover letter containing the names of your recommenders, the contents of your packet, and the term you are applying for
- a resume
- a transcript
- a writing sample consisting of a scholarly note, comment, or article
- recommendations from professors, judges, or very famous practitioners
To prep for an interview, read the justice's opinions, especially those from the recent term. Do not contact current clerks even if you know them.
Idiosyncracies of the justices:
- Roberts: 2 recommendations (may have changed)
- Stevens: short writing sample is optional. At least 2 recommendations from professors, at least 3 total.
- Scalia: 3 recommendations. Note names of professors on your transcript.
- Kennedy: two writing samples and 3-5 recommendations required.
- Souter: 3-5 recommendations, including one from your circuit judge. Academic writing samples a must!
- Thomas: at least 2 recommendations.
- Ginsburg: at least 3 recommendations. Short writing sample plus a reprint of any academic publication you have.
- Breyer: 3 recommendations, including one from your circuit judge. Short writing sample.
- Alito: unknown!