Thursday, August 11, 2005

What's Your Pop Culture Lexicon?

Inspired by the post below, I thought I'd make a brief list of pop culture references I commonly use.

-So I Married an Axe Murderer: watched this the other day and realized that I quote large portions of it without noticing, especially the Scottish dad parts. Also noticed that it's not particularly funny. Is my unpopularity now explained?

-Clerks: "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" "There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?" "Thirty seven?!?" I could go on. 37 is the new 69. (42 is also now a funny number, but for different reasons.)

-The Jerk: no one I know ever gets my references to this, which are usually confined to the "that's all I need" sequence and jokes about phone books.

-The Princess Bride: pretty universally appreciated. When I remove it one step further and start making Andre the Giant has a posse jokes, nobody gets that.

-Ghostbusters: the Venkman lines are especially quotable. The "cats and dogs living together" line is perhaps my most frequently cited. I saw on someone else's blog the other day that her housemate did not get "There is no [Name], only Zool." Get a new housemate!

-Office Space: I quote at least half the dialogue from this on a regular basis, and I can no longer say "that would be great" without imposing a Lumbergh intonation.

I'd like if this could become a web meme, so if you have a different set of referents please post them. I suppose your age is relevant for this, too. I was born on July 17, 1980.
blog comments powered by Disqus