Tuesday, April 19, 2005

My just reward

How was it not obvious that the inevitable consequence of calling to my professor's attention the recent opinion in Simpson v. Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors would be that he would be reminded of my presence and thus call on me the following day not once but twice? Have I not learned to keep my mouth shut? The circumstance was exacerbated by my not having read the case recently and my refusal to actually express myself in class; it's hard enough to sit through some of my classmates' comments without injuring myself by rolling my eyes too hard--to verbally express myself would radically decrease the level of civility in the classroom.

I've come a long way from my admissions essay, which emphasized my passion for advocating the separation of church and state. Or perhaps I haven't; I didn't find self-serving justifications for religious establishment under the guise of neutrality persuasive when they were used as excuses to foist religion into Texas schools, and I find them similarly nonsensical now.
blog comments powered by Disqus