Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Better living through rotation

Although I harbor a level of snobbery toward trailer homes that is achievable only in members of the lower middle class, I get giggly and excited every time modern architects come out with some trendy new modular housing units. A while back, the new hot unit was a little box-like unit on mini-stilts that was intended to sit on the top of preexisting buildings and to be portable (with helicopters).

The new cute house-in-a-box is this. The rotating cylinder to swap out the living spaces is ingenious, but my first impulse was to wonder if you could rotate your bedroom space to the back with you inside (I like to sleep in total darkness). But then I began to wonder what horrible fate would ensue if the remote ran out of batteries while you were sleeping. Homes should not need escape hatches.
blog comments powered by Disqus