Saturday, March 01, 2008

Bowdlerizing my youth

I was driving around today listening to the generic rock station when that Nineties classic, You Oughta Know, came on. (Don't tell me you never sung along to this one in the wake of a bad breakup. ) As you might recall, the first verse is a little risque:
I want you to know that I'm happy for you
I wish nothing but the best for you both
An older version of me
Is she perverted like me
Would she go down on you in a theater
Does she speak eloquently
And would she have your baby
I'm sure she'd make a really excellent mother
Despite the fact that the station I had on was not Disney-affiliated, the fourth through sixth verses were completely cut. Double-you tee eff, people? Do they not play Cocaine at all anymore? You can have a guy get raped by an orangutan on television but you can't say the word "perverted" on the radio?
blog comments powered by Disqus