Friday, December 17, 2004

Dogs are weapons of mass destruction

I am not going to be online for the rest of the day, as I will be finishing my Admin outline and cramming for my Wills and Trusts test.

But in response to this query about pro-war novels: John Holbo is right to highlight Watership Down as a pro-war book.

It's clear that war is sometimes necessary in Adams's lapine world, although whether we should extrapolate those values to our own world is a separate matter. One could impose some tortured analogy about current events onto the narrative, with Cowslip's warren as modern Europe and Efrafa as Iraq. But I encourage you to read it simply as a tale of adventure, bravery, and the triumph of free rabbits over both man's meddling and the tyranny of fear imposed by a reactionary Woundwort.
blog comments powered by Disqus