Thursday, October 07, 2004

Graecum est, non legeri potest

Thus was the complaint of scholars in the west for centuries, after knowledge of Greek had faded from Latin Christendom and before its re-introduction.

But no longer will it be my complaint, for I am learning Attic Greek, and today I have learned a fantastic word that I want to share with all of you. The word is 'ekekeleukemen.' Go on. Say it out loud. Ekekeleukamen. It means "we had commanded." After only a couple of weeks of class, I can now say "We commanded Homer to sacrifice his five brothers to the gods, for the men in the marketplace had sent messengers from the island into battle." Unfortunately, due to limited vocabulary, that's about all I can say. But it sounds great.

This post has been brought to you by the letters phi and theta.
blog comments powered by Disqus