Monday, November 02, 2009

Books I Don't Read: +1 Degree of Separation Edition

Jonathan Safran Foer has apparently written a book on meat-eating. Jessa Crispin doesn't read it so I don't have to:
It was bad enough when he was writing shitty novels, but now he's indulging in my least favorite form of nonfiction: the "I have never thought about this thing before until now, and despite the fact that other people have thought about this for years and wrestle daily with the implications, I think my brand new thoughts should be shared with the world." Whatever the topic -- religion, marriage, gender, food politics -- the books are always shallow, yet for some reason a lot of people take them seriously.
The proper place for deep thoughts on issues that you just started examining but which have already been exhaustively discussed by more informed people is a blog. GYOFB, Jonathan Safran Foer.
blog comments powered by Disqus